It's Christmas in July with Odif!

Since I am the undisputed "Biggest Fan of 505 Basting Spray," I'm happy to be an Odif Ambassador.  Today we would like to share our ideas for using Odif to celebrate Christmas in July!

I decided to play with Odif Coating Sprays.


I am exclusively a traditional quilter.  I make design and make traditional quilt patterns and I machine quilt them.  I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about paints.  So, in the spirit of 2020, I homeschooled myself.

I hung white fabric on cardboard and started spraying:


I was expecting a graffiti look to the paints, but the red, green and gold were very subtle on white.  I tried again on some black fabric:


Neither gave me the look I was expecting.


It wasn't WRONG, it was just UNEXPECTED.

So, throwing away my idea of what these paints would look like on fabric, I spied a gorgeous piece of Stag & Thistle fabric in my scrap pile.  I wonder what would happen if I highlighted the nests by spraying them white and then spraying a green aura around them?


I discovered that it would look incredibly cool and give the fabric some texture at the same time.

I decided to machine quilt some plain white fabric to make Christmas postcards:


If you'd like to learn more about free-motion quilting, join my online class First Steps to Free-Motion Quilting.

I trimmed the quilted fabric, the interfacing, and the backing fabric to 5"x6" and basted them together:


Then I trimmed the postcard to size using my Postcard Trimming Tool:


Next I zig-zagged the edges of the postcard using FabuLux Noel thread.  I first set my top thread tension to zero so the pretty FabuLux thread will wrap around the edge of the postcard and the plain bobbin thread will practically disappear.


Set my zig-zag to 4.5mm wide and .5mm long:


and stitched around the postcard the first time.  The secret to excellent edging is to stitch around the postcard a second time with a wider, shorter stitch:


My HQ Stitch 710 handles this beautifully!


My postcard is almost finished:


I put my postcard in a spray box since it's buggy outside in my forest in the evenings:


I highlighted each holly leaf with gold glitter spray:


I'll pop this subtly sparkling postcard in an clear envelope and put it in the mail.

Now I want to add Odif coating effects to all of my quilted projects!

Comments

  1. Thanks for showing us your experiments with the Odif Coating sprays - definitely adds just the right sparkle. Also the postcard tips are going to be so helpful for me, as I have been wanting to make postcards. I'll be placing an order today for the trimming tool plus some other goodies I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Electric Blue A La Moda

How to Machine Quilt Tuscan Vintage on Your Home Sewing Machine

For the Love of a Scrap Quilt